W hat has become Lulloff-Peterson-Houck Funeral Home has a long history in Dodgeville. John Eva Bartle first conducted the furniture and undertaking business there in 1858 under the early day title of “cabinet maker”. Later his son, Frank C. Bartle took over and conducted the business for forty-one years. In February of 1919 the Bartles sold the business to Adolph F. Lulloff and his younger brother, E.H. Lulloff who operated both the Lulloff Funeral Home and the Lulloff Furniture Store. In 1924, Adolph bought out his brother’s interest in the business and continued on his own. Adolph’s son Harold took over the business shortly before Adolph’s death in 1949. Harold and his wife Jane were both licensed funeral directors and together they ran the business. They closed the furniture store and built the current funeral home in the fall of 1952. In 1970, the Lulloffs sold the business to Russell and Karen Peterson. Russell had been with the Lulloffs since 1960. The business then became known as the Lulloff-Peterson Funeral Home. Russell and Karen carried on the tradition of excellent, personal service to the community for the next 24 years. In 1977, Russell and Karen purchased the McGuire Funeral Home in Highland from Ronald McGuire and operated it as the McGuire-Peterson Funeral Home.
In February of 1994, John and Lesley Houck purchased the funeral homes from the Peterson’s and they became the Lulloff-Peterson-Houck Funeral Home and the McGuire-Peterson-Houck Funeral Home. John had been employed by the Peterson’s since 1987. John and Lesley have done extensive remodeling to the building, keeping it as one of the finest funeral establishments in the state.